Unlock additional content from popular titles with this optional subscription-based service.
Facebook today announced the launch of premium app subscriptions on the Oculus Quest platform. Beginning today, Quest and Quest 2 users can access exclusive new content from popular titles such as FitXR, Rec Room, Tribe XR, TRIPP, vSpatial, and VZfit with more on the way.
“One interesting VR trend is how quickly it’s growing beyond just games. Some of the top apps on Quest are social apps, and there’s a growing number of productivity tools (both for collaboration and solo use, like Infinite Office), creativity tools (like the DJ app Tribe XR), and even fitness apps (like FitXR and Supernatural),” said Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg.
“To support creators building these different experiences, today we’re launching subscriptions for Quest apps. So now you’ll be able to buy a subscription to FitXR for boxing and dancing in VR just like you would for a Peloton bike, and much more.”
This new service will feature three types of subscriptions depending on the game or app:
- Free app with a paid subscription: The app is free to download but requires a paid subscription in order to access all available content.
- Freemium: The app is free with the option to purchase additional content via a paid subscription.
- Paid App: “The app is paid with the option to purchase additional content via a paid subscription.
App subscriptions can be purchased directly through the Oculus Store via the Oculus app on your mobile device or straight from your Oculus Quest headset. At the time of this writing, subscriptions cannot be purchased using store credit or promotions nor can they be gifted to other users or shared with other accounts on your headset. According to Facebook, some apps will include a free trial (7 days, 14 days, or 30 days), allowing you to sample their offerings before making a final decision.
Here’s a quick breakdown of the current subscriptions available on Oculus Quest and Quest to headsets (as provided by Facebook):
- FitXR – “FitXR is revolutionizing fitness with a state-of-the-art VR fitness studio. With a membership, you’ll get a new class led by an instructor every day from the popular Box and Dance studios and the upcoming HIIT studio, plus access to multiplayer so you can work out live with friends. FitXR is offering a seven-day free trial.”
- Rec Room Plus – “Rec Room is the place for you and your friends to build and play games together. Today, Rec Room is offering Rec Room Plus (RR+), an optional monthly membership that gives you access to 6,000 tokens monthly ($10 USD value), a four-star item every week, access to the exclusive RR+ section of the store, and more. The Rec Room app—where you can chat, hang out, explore player-created rooms, and build something of your own—will continue to be free.”
- vSpatial – “VSpatial brings your workspace to Quest. Surround yourself with unlimited monitors and jump into focus mode. Starting today, you can unlock 15-person meeting rooms, WAN remote connection, and a virtual camera and mic through an optional subscription. vSpatial’s Workplace, which gives you access to remote connect for Windows 10, virtual monitors, 1:1 collaboration, and more, will continue to be free.”
- Tribe XR – “Tribe XR lets you become a VR DJ and mix your tracks on near-perfect replicas of professional DJ equipment used in clubs across the globe. Today, Tribe XR is offering Tribe Plus, an optional membership that gives you access to all the add-on decks and skins, new environments, new monthly skins, live video workshops with resident DJ mentors, and 3D on-demand lessons.”
- TRIPP – “TRIPP helps you feel calm and focused through new daily meditations, customized experiences, and a trackable mindfulness journey. TRIPP uniquely integrates gameplay mechanics, breath visualization, breathing exercises, beautiful visual landscapes, and binaural audio. Get access to 40+ meditative experiences, receive daily Focus and Calm TRIPPs, personalize your experience, and track your progress. TRIPP offers one free demo mediation, so you can try before subscribing.”
- VZfit – “VZfit is a fitness app that lets you explore the world through Google Street View while getting a full-body cardio workout. From the snow-capped Italian Alps to the sun-kissed coast of Oahu, experience our planet’s beauty over 10 million miles of roads through Google Street View. Create your own ride and even ride with a friend or training partner. VZfit lets you workout on a standup virtual “exerboard” using just the headset, or gives you the option of connecting to your stationary bike or elliptical. VZfit offers a seven-day free trial.”
For more information on today’s reveal check out the official blog post.
Feature Image Credit: Facebook, Oculus