The studio app aims to democratise video production for Meta Quest headset users
Flipside XR, a virtual reality (VR) production company, announced on Thursday that it had launched its novel studio app.
Its Flipside Studio solution will empower content creators to create engaging videos via real-time motion capture (mocap) and production tools. Users can also use content created on the app for live-streaming, recording, and editing across all social media platforms like YouTube, TikTok, and Twitch, among others.
Flipside XR’s latest offering also accommodates users of all levels of expertise to develop solo projects or collaborate with teams. People can integrate virtual sets with numerous environments, lighting, characters, cameras, and assets.
The new Studio offers over 100 production features, including the following:
- Custom characters, where users can select multiple in-app characters or develop bespoke avatars via Ready Player Me’s avatar integrations
- Sets and props for a massive list of virtual production sets and props
- Multiple cameras to position across virtual sets to provide massive camera angle viewpoints and speeds
- Professional production tools such as virtual cameras, lights, teleprompters, and 1080p output features
- Single and multi-user production where users can collaborate on virtual sets at the same time, as well as building solo production with layered motion recording
- Creator Tools with advanced features along with the app’s free Unity plugin for uploading bespoke environments, characters, and 3D assets
The VR production company’s innovative tool works exclusively Meta Platform’s Quest 2, Rift, Rift S, and Pro headsets, and has debuted on the Meta Quest Store for free.
Flipside XR released the VR production tool after extensive testing and feedback from its content creator user base on its early access version launched in 2020.
Democratising Content Creation
Lesley Klassen, Chief Executive and Co-Founder, Flipside XR said in a statement its Studio app offered improved visibility and a “ton of new features.”
“We can’t wait to see how users take advantage of the tools and what they’re able to create. Creators can easily produce innovative, professional animated content that can be monetized across their social media channels offering endless opportunities to share original, engaging content with their audiences.”
The news comes after a host of XR production firms released bespoke platforms for content creators. One of the top studio apps, STYLY, provides cloud-based XR solution for facilitating work and collaboration tools.
Its Modifier immersive production tool massively cuts production times for creatives by 60 percent, the company said. It can also swap and edit real-time 3D (RT3D) objects without gaming engines like Unity or Unreal Engine.