New features for HoloLens
The Windows 10 October 2018 Update will be publicly available for HoloLens soon. Here are some of the new features you’ll experience when it arrives.
If you’d like to use these features now, you can install the RS5 Insider Preview build for HoloLens.
- Quick actions menu – From within an immersive mixed reality app, you can press the Windows button to access a new quick actions menu, with easy access to Start recording video, Take pictures, Mixed Reality Home, Change volume, and Connect.
- Start/stop video capture from the Start or quick actions menu – If you start video capture from the Start menu or quick actions menu, you’ll be able to stop recording from the same place. (Don’t forget, you can always do this with voice commands too.)
- Project to a Miracast-enabled device – Project your HoloLens content to a nearby Surface device or TV/monitor if using a Miracast-enabled display or adapter.
- New notifications – View and respond to notifications on HoloLens, just like you do on a PC.
- Useful overlays in immersive mixed reality apps – You’ll now see overlays such as the keyboard, dialogs, file picker, etc. when using immersive mixed reality apps.
- Visual indicator for volume change – When you use the volume up/down buttons on your HoloLens you’ll see a visual indicator of the volume level in the headset.
- New visuals for device boot – A loading indicator was added during the boot process to provide visual feedback that the system is loading.
- Nearby Sharing – The Windows Nearby Sharing experience allows you to share a capture with a nearby Windows device.
- Share from Microsoft Edge – Microsoft Edge now includes a Share button.
- Integrate mixed reality capture UI into immersive apps – Developers can integrate mixed reality capture into their apps using the built-in Windows camera capture UI with just a few lines of code.
For commercial customers
- Enable post-setup provisioning – You can now apply a runtime provisioning package at any time using Settings.
- Assigned access with Azure AD groups – You can now use Azure AD groups for configuration of Windows assigned access to set up single or multi-app kiosk configuration.
- PIN sign-in on profile switch from sign-in screen – PIN sign-in is now available for „Other User“ at the sign-in screen.
- Sign in with Web Credential Provider using password – You can now select the Globe icon to launch web sign-in with your password.
- Read device hardware info through MDM – IT administrators can see and track HoloLens by device serial number in their MDM console.
- Set HoloLens device name through MDM (rename) – IT administrators can see and rename HoloLens devices in their MDM console.
For international customers
You can now use HoloLens with localized user interface for Simplified Chinese or Japanese, including localized Pinyin keyboard, dictation, and voice commands.